Mothers' Circle and Other
years prior to 1928, DeMolay Founder Frank S. Land had in mind
the grouping of boys 13, 14 and 15 years of age into a movement
to be known as the Order of Chivalry, sponsored by DeMolay Chapters,
Alumni Chapters, or Masonic Bodies, the units to be called Courts,
and the young members pledged to petition for membership in the
Order of DeMolay when they reached the required age of 16. At
the 1928 session of the International Supreme Council, Dad Land
was granted authority to inaugurate the Order of Chivalry.
The sole purpose of the Order was based on the same principle as the pledge system used by college fraternities, the securing of prospective members for DeMolay Chapters when the pledges are eligible. A one degree ritual was written by Frank A. Marshall, author of the DeMolay Ritual. A member of the Order of Chivalry was in no measure to be called a DeMolay or a Junior DeMolay. He was a member of his own distinctive organization and was to be so regarded.
Albert Pike Chapter No. 58 instituted the W. T. Garven Court Order of Chivalry on September 29, 1928. It was named after a Past Chapter Advisor of the Chapter, who is pictured below:
In three years only 18 courts were established. The movement lasted until 1931, when it was closed sine die. They were never reactivated. A Court was presided over by an Illustrious Warden. The first Advisor of the W. T. Garven Court was Oscar A. McCracken Jr., the first Master Councilor of Albert Pike Chapter No. 58. The 1930 Advisor was P. M. Hucker.
Illustrious Wardens of
Officers installed with Burnett Mason (pictured below) were as follows: